Universal Home Video announces a slew of Hellboy II DVD and Blu-ray releases for this coming November. Check out the official press release and cover art for all releases.
FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY, OWN THE 3-DISC SPECIAL EDITION & 2-DISC BLU-RAY
HI-DEF FEATURING HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES, DIGITAL COPY
& COLLECTIBLE 3-D PACKAGING
HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY
FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT
ON NOVEMBER 11, 2008
EXPERIENCE VISIONARY DIRECTOR GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S ACTION-PACKED EPIC WITH PERFECT PICTURE & PUREST 7.1 DIGITAL SOUND
ON BLU-RAY HI-DEF
Universal City, Calif., September 25, 2008 – The roughest, toughest, most unlikely hero of all is back in Hellboy II: The Golden Army, available in 3-disc special edition DVD and 2-disc Blu-ray Hi-Def on November 11, 2008 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. With picture perfect visuals and flawless DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound, the high definition version of Hellboy II: The Golden Army can be viewed on any Blu-ray player or PlayStation®3. And only on Blu-ray Hi-Def, fans can create their own downloadable comic book built using scenes from the movie and via the power of BD Live, host a text chat with friends while watching the movie in synchronization.
With bigger muscle, badder weapons and more ungodly villains than ever before, Hellboy II: The Golden Army is available in multiple home entertainment versions. In standard definition DVD, fans can purchase either a widescreen or full frame single disc version for $29.98 SRP. For a limited time only, fans can take home a widescreen 3-disc special edition DVD ($34.98 SRP) or 2-disc Blu-ray Hi-Def ($39.98 SRP), featuring a digital copy of the film and hours of additional in-depth bonus features that take fans deep inside the movie’s extraordinary creative process – all encased in 3-D packaging. Just in time for the holidays, Hellboy II: The Golden Army is also available in a limited edition collector’s set featuring all of the bonus features of the 3-disc special edition plus a collectible Golden Army statuette, limited edition poster, director’s production journal and certificate of authenticity. This set is priced for collecting and gift giving at $64.98 SRP for standard definition DVD and $69.98 SRP for Blu-ray Hi-Def.
The visionary del Toro takes audiences on “one hell of a wild ride,” according to The Hollywood Reporter, in a return to the exhilaratingly original world of Hellboy. Ron Perlman (The Mutant Chronicles), Selma Blair (Legally Blonde), Doug Jones (Fantastic 4:Rise of the Silver Surfer) and Jeffrey Tambor (“Arrested Development”) reprise their roles from the groundbreaking first Hellboy film, joined by Luke Goss (Deep Winter) as Nuada, a renegade elvish prince, and more than 30 startling new creatures drawn from del Toro’s untamed imagination. Based on characters created by Mike Mignola for Dark Horse Comics, Hellboy has become one of the most successful independent comic books of all time, bursting with outlandish creatures, over-the-top action and unexpectedly comedic moments.
GO INSIDE THE MIND OF VISIONARY FILMMAKER GUILLERMO DEL TORO WITH THESE IN-DEPTH BONUS FEATURES
The Blu-ray, single- and 3-disc DVDs all feature the following bonus content:
- Feature Commentary with Director Guillermo del Toro
- Feature Commentary with Cast Members Jeffrey Tambor, Selma Blair and Luke Goss
- Set Visits: Seven mini documentaries provide viewers with unlimited access to the Hellboy II: The Golden Army set.
- Troll Market Tour with Guillermo del Toro: Using sketches and backstage video, del Toro walks the audience through the creation of one of the film’s most distinctive sets, the legendary Troll Market.
- Animated Zinco Epilogue Comic
- Deleted Scenes With Optional Commentary by Director Guillermo del Toro
In addition, the Blu-ray and 3-disc special edition DVD also include the following in-depth features:
- Prologue: A special introduction to the DVD from director Guillermo del Toro.
- Pre-Production Vault:
- Director’s Notebook: Exclusive interviews, image scans and text from Guillermo del Toro’s personal notebook.
- Concept Art Gallery: Original designs and concepts for Hellboy II: The Golden Army’s costumes and sets.
- Hellboy: In Service Of The Demon: Over two hours of footage that takes fans into the creation of this film.
- Production Workshop: Professor Broom’s Puppet Theatre: A special look inside the opening sequence of the film including storyboards and animatics.
- Image Gallery Featuring Teaser Banners, One-Sheets and Poster Explorations
- DVD Rom: Hellboy II: The Golden Army Script
EXCLUSIVE BLU-RAY HI-DEF BONUS FEATURES
Only on the Hellboy II: The Golden Army Blu-ray Hi-Def can viewers enjoy the following interactive features:
- My Chat: Using your internet-connected player, host a text chat with your friends who also own Hellboy II: The Golden Army on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def while you watch the movie in synchronization!
- Sneak Peek of Wanted: Watch never-before seen footage from the explosive action movie Wanted, starring Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy.
- My Scenes Sharing: Show your friends your favorite scenes from Hellboy II: The Golden Army via BD-Live.
- Comic Book Builder: Create an original downloadable Hellboy adventure by selecting still images from the movie, dropping them into comic book layouts and adding text. The result can be e-mailed to friends or published via BD-Live buddy lists.
- U-Control: Universal’s exclusive signature feature U-Control allows viewers to delve into the making of the film with the click of the remote without ever leaving the movie.
- Scene Explorer: Schufften Goggle View: View scenes from the film as it progresses from storyboards and early renderings of the visual effects to the final film.
- Director’s Notebook: Fans will get an interactive glimpse at the director’s personal journal and view how early thematic concepts evolved into the final film. Includes an introduction by Guillermo Del Toro.
- Set Visits: Interactive vignettes provide information about key moments in the film.
- Comic Book Back-Story Interactive Feature: Clickable motion pages provide backstories of the film’s characters.
After an ancient truce existing between humankind and the invisible realm of the fantastic is broken, hell on Earth is ready to erupt. A ruthless leader who treads the world above and the one below defies his bloodline and awakens an unstoppable army of creatures. Now, it’s up to the planet’s toughest, roughest superhero to battle the merciless dictator and his marauders. He may be red. He may be horned. He may be misunderstood. But when you need the job done right, it’s time to call in Hellboy (Ron Perlman). Along with his expanding team in the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Development—pyrokinetic girlfriend Liz (Selma Blair), aquatic empath Abe (Doug Jones) and protoplasmic mystic Johann—the BPRD will travel between the surface strata and the unseen magical one, where creatures of fantasy become corporeal. And Hellboy, a creature of two worlds who’s accepted by neither, must choose between the life he knows and an unknown destiny that beckons him.
CAST AND FILMMAKERS
Directed by: Guillermo del Toro
Screenplay by: Guillermo del Toro
Story by: Guillermo del Toro & Mike Mignola
Based upon the Dark Horse comic book created by: Mike Mignola
Produced by: Lawrence Gordon, Mike Richardson. Lloyd Levin
Executive producer: Chris Symes
Director of photography: Guillermo Navarro, ASC
Production designer: Stephen Scott
Editor: Bernat Vilaplana
Casting by: Jeremy Zimmerman
Additional casting by: Csutak Zsolt
Co-executive producer: Mike Mignola
Co-producer: John Swallow
Music by: Danny Elfman
Cast: Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, Doug Jones, Jeffrey Tambor, Luke Goss, John Hurt, John Alexander, Seth MacFarlane, Anna Walton, Brian Steele
Street Date: November 11, 2008
Pre-Order Close: September 30, 2008
Copyright: 2008 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
- SD single (FF/WS):$29.98 SRP
- SD 3-Disc (WS): $34.98 SRP
- SD Collector’s Set (WS): $64.98 SRP
- BD 2-Disc: $39.98 SRP
- BD Collector’s Set: $69.98 SRP
· Full Frame Single Disc: 61100256
· Widescreen Single Disc: 61100257
· Widescreen 3-Disc Collector’s: 61105622
· Blu-ray Hi-Def: 61105623
· Widescreen 3-Disc Collector’s Set: 61107314
· Blu-ray Hi-Def Collector’s Set: 641107316
Running Time: 2 Hours
- Widescreen and Full Frame: Dual
- Blu-Ray Hi-Def: BD-50
- Widescreen: 1.85:1
- Full Frame: 1.33:1
- Blu-ray Hi-Def: Widescreen: 1.85:1
Rating: PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi action and violence, and some language
- Widescreen and Full Frame: English Dolby Digital 5.1/DVS Dolby Digital 2.0, Spanish and French Dolby Digital 5.1; English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles
- Blu-ray Hi-Def: English DTS-HD Audio 7.1, Spanish and French DTS Surround 5.1; English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles
Universal Studios Home Entertainment is a unit of Universal Pictures, a division of Universal Studios (www.universalstudios.com). Universal Studios is a part of NBC Universal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80%-owned by General Electric, with 20% owned by Vivendi.
- 1 2